Saturday, May 18, 2024

First Time Camping in the Aliner (Bastop State Park - March 2022)

 It's hard to believe it has been over 30 years since I've gone camping... how did that happen? Anyway, this was my first trip in a really long time and the first time I've had my own camper. I bought an A-liner at the beginning of November and it has been sitting in the drive way taunting me for the past 4 months. I got to play with it some: outfitting, stocking, learning how to use everything, etc., but nothing beats actually using it. A week ago I just randomly checked the state park web portal for Texas (they use Reserve America) and I noticed a link "go camping this weekend" that lists all of the available spots in various parks for the upcoming weekend. Has that always been there? So, I noticed a park within 30 miles of the house had one spot open and out of my peripheral vision I spotted the words that make any newbie camper owner jump with joy: Pull Through! Needless to say, I reserved that spot as fast as I could.

Getting there went somewhat smoothly, there were a couple of brief moments of panic when I couldn't get the trailer unlocked at first (turns out the Master lock I bought has a non-standard place to line up the numbers for the combo, seriously!?) and then a couple of "am I supposed to turn here, or did I miss it already?" types of things.

Getting set up was much less stressful since I've had practice leveling and setting up the camper, but this was the first time I've hooked it up to Shore Power and water. My space was on the Piney Hill loop and overlooked a ravine of pine trees and scrub.

It was a beautiful weekend. Friday started out blustery with wind gusts up to 30mph and I was very nervous about towing & setting up under those conditions, but by the time I got loaded up and spent an inordinate amount of time futzing with the combo lock the wind had died down completely. I got there around 3pm and had a couple of hours to unwind/unpack and generally figure out how things were going to work. Around 5pm a pack of coyotes start howling, at first I thought it was hikers in the hollow below me messing around, but it was legit. It sounded like quite a few and they seemed closer than I expected them to be (but probably not). Around dark I started the bbq going and cracked open a beer while waiting for the coals to catch. Made some grilled chicken and couscous for supper. That night it got down into the 40's, but the camper was comfortable and only around 4am did I get up and turn on the radiator (I have a 500 watt oil-filled radiator that sits neatly on the counter top and warms the place up nicely.)

Saturday morning was bit chilly, but not cold. I got up and made the obligatory trip to the bath house, dropping the garbage off at the dumpster while I was at it. The spots are arranged so that they are all within easy walking distance of the facilities. I did some easy hiking and actually took the time to hunt for a geocache (first time in 10 years that I've logged a find). I even took a nap later in the day, something I never do. The camper was very comfortable with the windows open and the "fantastic fan" helping to circulate the air. Saturday afternoon I found a shady spot to sit and do some reading, then fired up the charcoal grill again and grilled a steak. I heated up some baked beans inside the camper (because it seemed like the thing to have when camping and eating steak.) The propane stove is hard to finesse and will have things boiling in no time if you aren't paying attention. Saturday night was a repeat of Friday night and when I woke up Sunday morning it was very foggy (and soggy.) I slowly began packing things up and getting ready to leave, deliberately taking about 2 hours to do it while waiting for the fog to burn off. Then I headed home. Only one minor panic situation on the way home when the tire pressure light in my truck started flashing (it's never done that before) on a stretch of road, uphill, under construction, no shoulder - you get the point. So, I just ignored it and it went away. Turns out, I think a sensor battery is dying or something.

Anyway, here are my observations as a complete first time camper owner newbie (in no particular order):
Be prepared to be overwhelmed by the smell of smoke in the evenings (when everyone starts a fire or fires up the charcoal).
My 6 gallon gray water tank filled up a lot faster than I expected, like more than daily.
Why did A-line put the water hookup almost right above the electrical hookup, couldn't a foot or two of separation been a bad thing?
I was too paranoid to leave the water to the camper turned on overnight, and after discovering a small leak under the sink the next day I'm glad I didn't.
Constantly rearranging things to get to other things means my organizational skills need work.
A foot stool with storage came in handy as additional seating, and it was nice to just be able to prop my feet up when chilling out inside.
I need more than two cargo-net-pocket thingies for stuff like remotes, keys, phone, glasses.
Glad I downloaded some podcast and couple of movies to my tablet for some variety during down time (after I already read the bike magazine and a copy of the Austin Chronicle that I brought with me).
Glad I bought a real mattress for the bed instead of trying to sleep on the cushions that came with the camper.
Clip on battery motion lights came in handy when entering/exiting the trailer at night - much more than I had anticipated (it was really dark out there). Same thing can be said the headlight thingy that you strap around your forehead! (Hands free lighting where ever you are looking is incredible).
Get individual boxes of plastic silver ware instead of the combo box. I spent a crazy amount of time fishing around for a fork and coming up with a spoon. I guess I could have taken them out of the box, but then where am I going to put them?
I went thru more towels and washcloths than I thought I'd use in a given day. Ditto for paper towels.
I was amazed at how quiet the campground was. It was full, but there was not any raucous parties, slamming of car doors, loud talking or anything.
I couldn't stop smiling all weekend.

Well, that's it. That was my first trip as a responsible adult. Attached are some of the random things I took pics of.


 







No comments:

Post a Comment