Friday, December 4, 2009

Will My Mango Tree Survive the Winter?



Woke up yesterday morning at 5:30.. walked out onto the front porch (in my underwear) and took a deep breath. It was a cool, crisp morning. I had every intention of riding before work. I clicked on the TV long enough to catch the weather and the current temperature was 37 degrees. I went back to bed. Today was more of the same, except it snowed. Big, giant, corn-flake sized, fluffy white things fell from the sky. Very few actually hit the ground. None stayed around.

Tonight I met Nancy after work for Mexican food, tequila, and about two hours worth of "catching up". By the time I got home, (approx 30 minutes ago) it was near freezing. Currently it's 60 degrees inside my house and I just built a big, roaring fire. However, I don't know if my mango tree is going to survive the night, let alone the winter. I put a garbage bag over it just now, but considering how little it's manage to thrive (and how little I've watered it, or even looked at it) over the summer I somehow don't think it's gonna make it.

I've had avacado plants (ne, trees) that have made it a couple of years but usually manage to succumb to a late spring freeze.. and that's the most "unkindest cut of all". If it's gonna die, then you expect it to happen in January or February - not in late March.. at least not in Texas.

The biggest problem is that I'm what you'd call a "tough love" gardener. I pretty much throw the plants out into the yard and if they make it, they make it. If not, then it was never meant to be. Had my mango plant/tree shown a little more initiative over the summer then maybe I'd feel a little more compelled to actually do more than throw a garbage bag over it. Oh well, you reap what you sow.. I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes. It's time to throw another log on the fire so I gotta go..

BTW, it's STILL 60 degrees inside the house.. if I had to rely solely on the fireplace for heat, I'd totally be screwed.

2 comments:

  1. Poor baby mango tree. This is very sad. A sad little tree who loves you.

    Lol, I'm the same way -- can barely find time to do all the normal things, much less nurse a plant along; especially if it's OUT IN THE YARD instead of on my desk at work where I see it every day. (My 2 desk plants are fine, thanks for asking, I'll tell them you said Hi).

    I'm thinking your mango tree needs an intervention. Have you considered putting it up for adoption? Do you have any plant-y kinds of friends?

    Oh, and one small brag: I have a sickly little petunia in a teensy clay pot that the Maker gave me for Mother's Day in May. I stuck it up on the shelf over the kitchen sink and AMAZINGLY it's still alive. It has bloomed several times, and every time I see it dying from lack of water I drown it. Seems to work.

    Good luck with the mango (that poor baby).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for your mango tree. Poor thing.

    I must say, I've never heard of tough love for trees before. And to look for initiative in a tree is just so strangely paternal of you.

    ReplyDelete