Sunday, January 3, 2010

Will the New Year be "New"?



As I was typing up some comments on The Bike Noob's blog (I seem to be a better commenter than blogger) it got me to thinking about the New Year and what I want to see happen in the future. I won't make a whole lot of resolutions, but instead I'll make some "likes", as in things I'd like to do.

#1 Cross Training - I need to vary my exercise routine by more than simply cycling. Last year I went as far as filling out an application for gym membership, but never got around to actually turning it in. So even if I don't join a gym (I can only afford so many yearly/monthly subscriptions at one time) I will make an effort to pick up the hand weights currently nestled next to the fireplace more often. I might even start jogging again. One of my co-workers swims year round, he's found several local pools that are either free, or nearly free, and that are heated. I might try that as well.

#2 Entertainment - I will go to a movie, concert, opening and/or other event at least once a month. I've lived in Austin for twenty years and have never been to the art museum, though I've been to the natural history museum like ten times (love me some dinosaur bones..)

#3 Finances - I will (and recently have been) spending only cash - no debit/check card, no American Express card. This year I paid for Christmas in cash. No surprises later.

#4 Laundry - I will put clothes away and hang up shirts (in the closet!) each time. No more piles of clean clothes on the laundry room floor because I had to make room in the dryer for the next load.

#5 Beach - I will make it to the beach *before* late July or early August, even if I have to go by myself - and preferably somewhere in the Caribbean. I will take advantage of every 3 day weekend (Memorial Day, etc.) to go out of town. I will actually use the tent I bought several years ago (and set up once) and go camping.

I think the biggest reason so many of us "fail" at keeping our resolutions is a perception of failure: Resolve to lose weight? Lose some, but the end up gaining a couple of pounds? Then you must have failed and therefore no use even trying any further. The problem is that we try to apply linear logic (on/off, pass/fail, black/white, day/night) to a circular or cyclical world. The world is round, not flat and everything in our lives is a cycle (messy kitchen/clean kitchen). The tide may be high or low, but it's not "either/or" - it's a cycle in that it comes in and goes out and never actually stops.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading this blog, especially when I learn something new about you.

    Re: cross training. The heated pool sounds yummy; the thought of forcing myself into a cold pool is probably the single reason I can't make myself do it. Running works nicely, too, although one other similar option is jumping rope. It takes some time to learn it, but once you get it down, it's an outstanding calorie burner and a great workout.

    Re: museums -- try finding a buddy. Set a date with a niece, for example, and you'll get there.

    Re: finances -- color me impressed. I never have cash handy and don't like carrying it around (how is it different from carrying plastic around I ask myself but myself doesn't answer). But the idea of not living on money you don't have is damn revolutionary in this country. Good for you.

    Re: beach -- Oh, man, this is one I NEED TO DO. I live 2 hours from the beach, there is simply no excuse! WHY oh WHY do we not do this?? Tents scare me just a bit, but I have one, too. Should use it, huh?

    Looking forward to hearing how your year progresses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot: Tell us about the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picture: that is my Dad ("paw-paw" to the rest of the family) holding his great grandson, Hayden. It's good therapy for both of them as they seem to like each other.

    ReplyDelete