Thursday, November 13, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes..

A few years back my brother and his wife were preparing to move to a new house. They were in the process of packing everything up and my niece, who was about 3 or 4 at the time, was giving me a tour of all of the boxes stacked in their living room and kitchen. She was happily pointing out each box and telling me about the contents. When I asked her what was in one particular box her mother had just filled up she said, "A bunch of crap."
"Madison!" I said (trying not to laugh) as I looked at her and then at her mom.
Her mom just shrugged and said, "Well it's true," and then bent over and wrote 'misc. crap' on the flap of the box.

This memory came to me on Tuesday as I rode around the veloway. I often have time to think as I spend a couple hours banging out 25-30 miles around the track. I've tried listening to the radio or ipod and I don't enjoy it as much as I do the silence. I like having time to "just think".

I got up at 5:30 this morning (yes that is A.M. and on a Thursday) and went for ride. Around seven the sun came up and there was a slight mist in the air. The morning light caused the trees that have started to turn red, yellow and gold to just "pop" with contrast. It was then that I was glad I got out of bed after all. Wow! What a way to start the day, even if I did freeze my butt off. Of course now, I'm really dragging and plotting some way to catch a quick nap by crawling under my desk or something. I can't wait to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment